Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Money saving=Money Making

When Jeremy and I found out we were pregnant, there was no doubt I would become a stay-at-home mom.  Being home with our children was very important to both of us.  With that being said, we knew we would have to be more aware of our money spending going from two incomes to one.  I figured the best place to start would be our groceries and general household maintenance supplies. I read several blogs and compiled my list of ideas to try.  

1. Couponing:  Wow you can save some big bucks here!  Yes it takes work, and yes it isn't always fun clipping coupons, but I've found several sites that basically do all the work for you.  I would highly recommend www.frugalfritzie.com.  A-MAZING.

2. Laundry Soap: seriously, the price is getting ridiculous right?  So I found a great recipe and I love it!  It costs a few pennies a load.  
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Baking Soda
1 bar of soap shredded

3.  Household cleaners:  I use to be that person that would use a coupon and try to get my household cleaners for less than $1.  Well...I found these recipes and not only do they cost pennies, they are also safe for children and pets.  Now I'm not one of those  "environmentally friendly, go-hug-a-tree, save the earth" type of people.  The fact they are safe for the environment is a bonus.  The big thing is they are CHEAP to make!
My favorites are:
Window Cleaner
4 cups of water
1-2 drops of Joy dish soap

Dust Spray
2 cups of water
1 cup of vinegar
4-5 drops of essential oils (for smell reasons)
2 drops of olive oil

Soft scrub
Mix equal parts baking soda and dish soap 
(this is amazing for cleaning electric stove tops)

4. Cloth diapers:  Mady is now big enough for her cloth diapers.  I'm getting to the point of hating to buy disposables.  The cloth work so well and they really aren't that much harder than disposables.  I use the Grovia brand with snap inserts.  Google them...you'll love 'em!

5. Homemade diaper wipes: seriously awesome!                         
1/2 roll of select-a-size paper towels
2 tbsp. baby oil
2 tbsp. baby shampoo
2 cups of water

So those are just a few ideas that have helped tremendously to cut costs at our house.  I know there are a lot more ideas out there and would love to try more!

 

1 comment: