Monday, May 28, 2012

A question...

This question has been bugging me for almost all of 18 months of Mady's precious life.  
It's a question that most moms don't even think of.
And it's one that most moms aren't bothered by, even a little.  
But it's the one question that causes my heart to be saddened and my attitude turn defensive immediately.  
Why are babies and toddlers judged solely on 1 element of their development: gross motor skills?
When enrolling her in classes, this is the question that is asked more than any other, is she walking yet?
No one seems to care that she is well advanced in her verbal and social/emotional skills.
No one seems to ask how many words she can say or how many signs she knows.
It doesn't seem important that she can point out different animals that you name in a book.
Or that she can use a spoon fairly well to feed herself.
I HATE that she is judged on this walking skill and held back because of it.
What if she doesn't walk until she's 2?  
Are we going to keep her held back because she can't do ONE thing?  
Would we not allow a kid with cerebral palsy to go on to first grade because he/she can't walk?
Then why do we do that to babies?
It's not fair and I'm sorry that I get a little defensive when this criteria is used on classes that have NOTHING to do with gross motor skills.  
Gymnastic classes?  Ok I totally understand.  
Other non gross motor related?  Not understanding at all.
I will always defend my kiddo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment