Thursday, May 12, 2011

Adventures in Baby Food Making

As you know from this post, I love to save money. So when Mady started eating solid foods and I started to notice the prices of baby food in the store, I about had a stroke.  I mean seriously...$1.00 for 1 little container of food that will last maybe 2 meals?  You've got to be kidding me.  So like I always do, I hit the internet to learn how to make it myself.  I found this website right away.  It is AMAZING!  It literally tells you everything you need to know.  A quick trip to the grocery store to pick up veggies, fruits, and ice cube trays plus a $3.00 blender I found at a garage sale and I was ready to go!

So far I've made sweet potatoes, pears, and squash.  I know you working moms are probably saying that it's too much work but it really isn't.  Plus you make a ton of it and freeze it so you don't have to make it all the time.  

Here's a little example of the cost savings you'll have...
I bought 2 sweet potatoes that cost me $1.98 total.  I made approx. 48 ice cube sized portions.  Considering that Mady eats 2 ice cubes a day...that's 24 days worth of food!  Ok so now think about how much that would cost if you bought all that food....24 divided by 2 (because I think you can get 2 servings out of those tiny containers) is 12.   12 dollars for 24 days!  Yikes!  The math is making my head hurt...
You should definitely think about it.  This little girl is sure loving it!



1 comment:

  1. baby food is expensive! that's why i'm so glad my girls handled table food at an early age!

    ReplyDelete