Monday, October 17, 2011

Money, Money, Money!

Even though Jeremy and I weren't BAD with money, we still decided we needed to have a budget.  I know that may seem strange to some of you that we've been married for 4 years and never had one.  But, like I said before, we weren't bad with money so we didn't see the need for one.  HOwever, after talking to some wise friends, we decided to try a budget for this month.  It's based off of Dave Ramsey.
IT HAS BEEN AMAZING!

First, we only use cash (unless paying bills).  I didn't know if I would love this, but I do!  I like knowing what I can and cannot spend.  

Second, we write down all our expenses BEFORE the month begins.  Before when Jeremy and I tried a budget, we just kept track of what we spent which was a big pain in the butt.  This is much more simple and easier.



Third, it has really opened our eyes to what we spend, how much things cost, and how much we relied on ourselves before rather than God to provide.  Here's a few stories:

1. I wanted to buy Mady's halloween costume but didn't want to spend much money.  We only had a certain amount in our "clothing budget" and I knew Jeremy and I and Mady may need a few extra clothes with the weather changing and all. SO, I went to the Etc. Shop in town like I do every week.  And what did I find?  Only the most amazing, cutest Halloween pumpkin costume ever!  And it was only 2 dollars!

2.  Jeremy and I budgeted for a car seat and baby gate for Mady this month.  I knew the 175 dollar limit for both of those was kind of crazy because they're both fairly expensive (especially the car seat).  I was about to give up on buying the carseat this month and just add more money to the carseat fund next month when...drum roll...Target has the same exact car seat that Jeremy's parent's have (which we have been using lately) for $100!!!  It's in this week's ad and I was just so excited when I saw it!  So not only will we be able to buy both things, but we will come UNDER our 175 dollar limit!!!


As I was thinking of God's provision for us since we've been using our budget, I was reminded of Matthew 6:25-26
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?"

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you found a good deal on a new car seat for Mady :) Also, I'm glad the cash system works for you guys -- on the first month you tried it! You might have to come to our class sometime and give a testimonial!

    ReplyDelete